Thursday, April 25, 2013

Judicial Committee In action, Cookie Style!



"Mom, I have a sentence!"

Thus begins a conversation with my 6 year old, when I pick him up from school last week. "Let's hear it, dude," I reply.

"I have to bake cookies for everyone and bring them to school."

I, of course, am thrilled to bake cookies with my little guy, and impressed with the creativity that the JC (Judicial committee) had that created such a unique sentence. I also cannot help but wonder what led to this cookie-baking sentence.

Let's rewind, for anyone reading who is unfamiliar with our Sudbury Schooling model, or the Judicial processes involved. My children attend Sego Lily School, a private school started by my husband Craig & myself about 10 years ago. The school is based on the Sudbury Valley School and follows three general principles: self-directed learning, a democratic governance, and a judicial process that handles conflicts and rule infringements that need community support to be settled. The JC is centered on the premise that when a member of the community (regardless of age) 'damages' the fabric if integrity that makes up the school, the community can gather to mend that fabric in whatever way is necessary. May times, the 'sentences' handed out by the JC are quick, simple fixes: you left litter on the lawn, you go pick up 10 pieces of trash to help clean up the school; you mis-used school property, you lose the privilege to use that property until you can demonstrate an ability to use it safely. Other times, things are more involved, and that is where the real learning begins.

I have been involved in many JC cases over the years. Those that involve conflict between students are some of the most common. This student felt picked on or teased by that one, or these kids felt that these other kids weren't being fair with their use of a room. Sometimes they are more serious, such as the case of a student who felt he was being teased because of his skin color. These are the times when the JC gets into the real conversations with kids - trying to help us all understand the world, and the impact of our actions, a little bit better. Sometimes, there are no sentences given at the end of these discussions (with the exception of a warning) - the conversations themselves are much more useful than any further consequence would be.

So, why cookies? Well, my little sweetie has a temper. He is generally a loving, peaceful, happy kid - he will play with anyone, loves to share, and can create imaginary games for hours on end. He also gets frustrated when anything appears unfair to him, and, because he is six, often lashes out when those kinds of things happen. I don't know all of the details (as his mom, I am now allowed in the JC meeting when it involves my own children, unless I am directly involved in the issue), but he had one of these 'moments', yelled at some people, turned off a computer someone was using, and tore up the computer sign-up sheet. He was charged with 'disturbing the peace' and 'mis-use of school property.' The JC was looking for ways for him to make up for the impact of these actions - and a "Peace Offering" seemed like just the thing. I guess someone on the committee likes cookies, so the sentence was agreed upon.

    Yesterday, We brought cookie dough to school. Athan diligently sliced cookies and placed them on the tray. He helped me set the timer. He washed all of the dishes. And, after school meeting, he helped serve cookie sandwiches (we also brought ice cream for my birthday!) to everyone who was at school. I asked him, at some point, if he was enjoying himself. He thought for a moment, then said, "Yes, because I like to cook, but I feel like I'm supposed to say no, because it's a sentence. But I am having fun, and I want to do this again, well not the JC part though, I don't want to yell at people, I just want to make cookies again."

I love that even in the midst of having fun, making cookies with mom, and anticipating the sugary treat, he was still thinking about the reasons he was doing this, and the action he took (yelling) that he didn't want to repeat. I love that this whole thing was able to be experienced without him feeling ashamed of himself for getting angry,  but still with the clear knowledge that the way he handled that anger didn't work. Will he get angry again? Of course. Will he handle it better next time? I guess we will see. I do know, however, that the whole experience had an impact on him. Lesson well learned, little guy....Lesson well learned.

No comments: